“Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.” -Judy Garland

Friday, September 24, 2010

Skinny and fat have become my new s-word and f-word



That is from Miss Carly Larsen from the Women's Serivces & Resources (WSR) at BYU.

Not that I had an s-word or f-word before that I used...but this is my new motto.

You know me...I LOVE women's health, so this I think could be considered up my alley.

SO the big news is that WSR is pitching a new image and campaign: Recapturing Beauty.

I just got their news letter: Sophia (I just love that) and the articles are top knotch. Check it out on their blog.

Here's a taste:

OH WAIT A SECOND...whew I just thought...what if they don't get this because I haven't given them ANY background..that would be bad.

OK so these are all about the struggle between innner and outer beauty...ah yes I am sure you are just as familiar as with these two frienemies as I am (and yes that was a allusion to the new film coming out: You Again..I can't wait to see it!)

Anywho Checks these clips outs:

From Anna Packard, PhD:

For the first time in my life, my body took on a completely new meaning to me. It was no longer about what my body looked like but what my body could DO. (She is talking about pregnancy..FYI)

From Carly Larsen:

With all of the voices telling me to hate my body, change my body, and punish my body, my own voice was lost.

I started looking at my body in terms of what it does for me. way: My arms that reach, stretch, lift, comfort, hold, hug, carry, and create; My legs that bend, balance, walk, run, jump, dance, support, and kneel; My torso, where my heart beats, my lungs ex-pand, and where, one day, a miracle will grow and be protected.

From Brook Schultz:

We’re conditioned early in life away from “beautiful.”

So the most courageous thing we can muster is to call others beautiful,
to which they so quickly reply, “Oh, no, I’m not! Look at my arms/love handles/pinky fingernail.”

...someone should love me the way I am and that someone should be me first.

From Diane Spangler, PhD:

The image you see in the mirror is actually a distorted representation of what you actually look like and who are you. Your mirror image is only one-half your actual size...

WOW right? I loved reading Sophia and think I want to do some writing myself...but I will get back to you on that part (that's the perfectionist coming out in me...or the yep-I-haven't-been-in-school-for-4-months-and-yeah-I-am-a-Public-Heath-major). So just maybe I will treat myself to an editorial.

BUT please read this...and remember LOVE YOURSELF.

much love,

b.

No comments:

Post a Comment