“Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.” -Judy Garland

Monday, September 27, 2010

Quick Draw

Yes...this has two meanings. One of which I have known from growing up in Wyoming and watching western's with my grandma. The other I discovered last weekend, which I like A LOT more.

Around this time of year in the little Cody, Wyoming a huge event takes place called the Quick Draw. This is where artists from around the region...or just artist get together and have a quick draw (literally).

The event begins with breakfast and a silent auction of much of the artists' work. I fell in love with certain artists as I often do. Then a bell sounds and the Quick Draw begins. The artists arranged around the courtyard at the BBHC (yes the Buffalo Bill Historical Center) have one hour to create a masterpiece.

I loved seeing the creative process. It was also fun to see the artists whose work I had fallen in love with. I began quickly to understand that artists really do have their own signatures...their pieces are so uniquely them.

My mom, who so graciously introduced me to the event, and I made the rounds about 3 times. So I got to see the art in many different stages. After the hour is up another bell rings. The artists much finish and frame their pieces.

The audience then proceeds to a fabulous auction!

I decided learning the art of auctioneering would be...well SO COOL!

The auction was so fun. Especially the bidding wars...on one piece the bidding got up to about $10,000!!! I love art, but SERIOUSLY???

I think if I am ever rich, art auctions...or maybe just actions in general will be my favorite hobby...SO INTENSE...ok only during bidding wars...but STILL.

Here are some pics!

There were all types of art...

Scultpures:



Paintings:



Pastels: This was one of my mom's favorites



I found some of my favorite artists (so when I am rich and run my own ranch-May through August-I can have this art in my home there):

Duke Beardsly: reminder to self he has this set of four that I want to hang on a wall...red, blue, mustard yellow, and orange...something like that

Before:



Almost Finished: WOW that use of color is AMAZING



Donna Howell-Sickles: I just loved this piece



Nancy Dunlop Cawdrey: perhapys the most unique. She paints on silk and uses salt for texture. Also her use of color in the animals is so vibrant

The very beginning:



During:



Ten Minutes Left!:



So of course you know me SO competitive...the result is a contest. Mom picked her favorite piece and I picked mine...which ever went for me was the WINNER!

Mom's: a truly ingenious use of white space...LOVE



Mine: yes aren't those the craziest colors..you know me I love odd colors



I am happy to report: I won! but mom's piece put up a very good fight.

So here's the mother-daughter combination: very blurry sorry!



So THANKS MOM!!!

I have to say I LOVE art...it is so beautiful and there is a lot to think about...I hope to one day be the owner of fabulous art. OK secret sharing time: I used to want to take an oil paiting class at BYU...maybe I still will. Maybe just maybe I will be a creator...not of fabulous art...but of art...that is completely me.

much love,

b.

No comments:

Post a Comment