“Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.” -Judy Garland

Friday, October 15, 2010

Never Underestimate A Mother's Love


I have been mia due to a few family events (aka stress)...but that's OK.

While I have been home I been fortunate to spend a lot of time with my momma. We drive to school together, eat all our meals together, and go on walks together etc. I pretty say to her everyday..."So what do you want to do next?"

So yeah I have been able to see a lot of things...like just how much my mom LOVES her kids. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of frustration, tears, sleepless nights, tongue biting, and LOTS and LOTS of walking (Walking is how my mom deals with life. She walks, walks, and walks until everything is doable). But there is no doubt that she loves her kids.

Mostly it is so great to see how much she wants each of us to succeed. She expresses how she sees so much potential in each of us and prays that we can reach it. She really thinks the world of us...maybe even more than we really deserve.

Seeing all of this love, I reflected on all the times my mom has been there for me. First let me say...the list is endless...my mom was there for me ALL of the time. But here are some of ones I really remember:

1. A+ Student (I was believe it or not the biggest procrastinator; I thrive with stress. BUT I am also a minor or MAJOR perfectionist. My mom would stay up with me all night to finish and perfect a school project which was almost always due the next day).

2. Excuses, Excuses (If I ever felt uncomfortable about going somewhere or hanging out with someone my mom ALWAYS said "Blame it on me." She didn't care what people thought of her...she would rather have me safe and comfortable).

3. Globe Trotter (My sophomore year of high school I decided I wanted to study marine biology in the Bahamas through a school program. My mom worked every Thursday night with me "stuffing boxes"...my first job, to help me pay for the trip. She also was encouraging when I went to Hawaii, Washington D.C., and Japan. Hopefully this lasts so I can go to Jerusalem, Nepal, Thailand, and Cambodia.)

4. Brown Baggin It (Yes this is humiliating, but my mom packed me a lunch all of my school years. Yes that includes through my Senior year. She didn't insist on me taking a sack lunch...I am was just plain lazy. She never complain though.)

5. SURPRISE (My mom never failed to surprise me with a little gift. Whether it was a new scarf, note in my lunch, extra treats in my ski bag, or just a trip to Dairy Queen she always found a way to make my day better.)

Yep those aren't even one thousandth of all the great things my mom did for me.

I have realized that my mom really is my best friend.

We talk. We walk. We shop. We fight. We laugh. We eat out. We cry. We learn. We grow. We love.

I don't know how many other girls are that lucky to be able to talk to your mom about anything and be besties. It's kinda weird. But she is still my mom and knows me better than anyone in the entire world. I'm one lucky girl.

My mom really does love all her kids. She would do anything for all of us. She ALWAYS does what she thinks is best for us. If I pay attention close enough I realize that she is always teaching me.

The other day my mom asked me "So are we even?" My answer was "No. We will never be even. I will always owe you."

much love,

b.

1 comment:

  1. This post almost made me cry. We do have an amazing mom and dad for that matter. Although they are not perfect, they are incredible. Thanks for an post that reminded me how lucky I am!!!!! Love you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete