“Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.” -Judy Garland

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

My Poor Kids

Maybe it's a girl thing or maybe it's a me thing...but I think about my future kids all the time. Weird I know...but I do it. I think I just think being a mother is probably the most important job there is. I mean think of all the great people that you know...more often than not they probably have a great mother. That's just the way it is.

Sometimes though I feel sorry for my kids already...because I think they will have anything but a conventional childhood. For example, I saw an add for Trick-or-Treat with Unicef and I thought...yep my kids will do that...be dressed up and collect candy, but also collect coins for Unicef. That's just the way it will be.

Other things:

1. They probably won't know what it is to bottle feed a baby...if I can help it.
2. Recycling will be a matter of fact...and probably when they get to school they will cry because there is only ONE trash can.
3. Every vacation will NEVER be just for fun...always learning or helping...they won't know what a REAL vacation is.
4. It won't be weird that they know what DVT is and how to prevent it.
5. They will probably think the f word is fat and the s word is skinny.
6. Kids will probably stare at them with open mouths when they banter about the morning news, politics, human rights, or international relations...well see just how informed they can become.
7. Inviting friends to dinner will always be interesting...naan, peanut sauce, fish eggs, and haupia do not always sit well with everyone.
8. They will think riding in a car is a luxury...depending on where we live.
9. They will probably think that everyone speaks at least two languages...if not 3 or 4.
10. Soda, sugar cereal, sweets and treats will either be VERY special or the devil.
11. They will call all their body parts by their correct anatomical names...and will think its weird when people call them otherwise.
12. Video games will be weird to them...they will think...Why would anyone want to play a video game...playing in the real world is so much better!...we will see how many boys I have...YIKES!
13. Talking about anything and everything won't be scary or embarrassing...it what people should do...COMMUNICATE and LEARN...no shame.

I don't know how many of these will really happen...just depends on the kids I get and how well I raise them. And I am sure the list will grow and grow...my poor weird kids.

much love,

b.

2 comments:

  1. Haha! Oh gosh, I definitely agree with the video games. I am not a fan. I at least want video games to be just a slumber-party-with-friends activity for my kids. It's so funny, because I only ever had sisters, video games were non-existent in my life. To this day, they just stress me out. They really do. I don't like them at all. Maybe that'll be your solution. Just have all girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. DEEP VEIN THROMBOSIS!!!!! yeeeeeaaah!! ha ha. i laughed when i read this. so fabulous. you should add they will HATE pools. ha ha. jk. loves.

    ReplyDelete