“Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.” -Judy Garland

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Missionary Wish List

As many of you know I will be serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints come November 17. I have been called to serve in Vancouver Canada and will be preaching to Chinese immigrants therefore I will learn to speak Mandarin Chinese. I will be in Provo, UT at the Missionary Training Center for about 12 weeks studying and then I will be shipped off to spend the remainder of my mission with the crazy Canadians!

These last few months I have been preparing and preparing. This includes reading the scriptures, studying Preach My Gospel and getting ready to enter the LDS Temple. Also I have been shopping to gather EVERYTHING that I need. And I have gotten a TON! My mom deserves a huge THANK YOU for helping me and paying for the majority of it. I still have a few more things to get before I am set, but there are some items that I will never get…but I still think they are great.

Here is my wish list of items:

I will always need to be on time.

I hear Vancouver is WET.

A dress for every day of the week (made modest of course and all different colors...this IS a wish list right?).

I hear it get nice and cold up North.

I will need to look professional…but cute at the same time.

I am traveling to Canada…HELLO.

Whew...what a list. And you should see what I already have...I'm so spoiled...YIKES!

I am so excited to go to Canada to teach the Chinese about my beliefs and share a message about Jesus Christ! I am also SO READY to GO! I can't wait for November 17...even though I will definitely miss family and friends.

I am READY. Ready to learn, grow, speak Chinese, teach, pray, and LOVE. I am READY.

I realized that my missionary wish list only included material objects...YUCK! So really what my missionary wish list includes is: (NO particular order OK...you just can't order these things)

1. Growing closer to God.

2. Working hard EVERY day.

3. Loving all the people in Vancouver.

4. Not just getting along with my companions...but LOVING them.

5. Gaining a strong (like rock solid) testimony.

6. Increasing my knowledge of the scriptures and spiritual things.

7. Understanding my Savior: everything He did/does for me and everyone.

8. Speaking Mandarin fluently.

9. Being perfectly obedient.

10. Forgetting myself...because this is NOT ABOUT ME.

There's SO much more...I can't even list it all...I just want to be the BEST...you know me, the perfectionist...but it is really what I hope for and what I am going to strive for.

So be your best...I know you can do it...and you are already succeeding if you are trying!

much love,

b.

2 comments:

  1. You are the best - you will be THE best missionary - the people in Canada are so lucky. Can we come give you a hug when you enter the MTC?

    ReplyDelete