“Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.” -Judy Garland

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Farwell...For Now

I just wanted to say GOODBYE!!!

Yes I am leaving for an LDS Mission on Wednesday...but won't be able to blog right before I leave.

I will miss all of you and miss blogging A LOT.

But I think I can give it up for a year and a half for this amazing opportunity...yeah I can.

I also wanted to say THANK YOU. To all the amazing people who have got me to this point in my life...YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE...and if you don't...YOU PROBABLY ARE ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE!

And don't worry...my mom will be updating my blog...either writing her own posts or I will be emailing her some. So don't totally dismiss me yet. Look to the write to hear from me individually :).

Ok and finally many of you are probably wondering WHAT THE HECK IS SHE DOING??? I have wondered that myself, but then I reflect on what has got me to this moment in my life...and then I can BREATHE because I know everything has pointed me to be here right now and to be going where I am going.

Yes. So I am speaking today in church. My talk is supposed to be as if no one knows anything about my subject or they are hearing it for the first time. My topic: The Gospel of Jesus Christ. AWESOME right?

This is it: Not perfect and probably not exactly what I will say...but what I prepared. Enjoy.

I would like to begin with my testimony and testify to you that:

God lives.

I am a child God and you are a child of God.

I know that He loves me very much and that He loves you.

I know that He sent His son Jesus Christ, the Savior and Redeemer of the world, because He loves us.

“For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.” John 3: 16-17

I know that God wants us to be happy and that Jesus Christ is central to God’s plan for our happiness.

However we must choose, choose to come unto Christ, accept Him and believe Him. And we can do this through his gospel: The Gospel of Jesus Christ.

The first principle of the gospel of Jesus Christ is faith, but more specifically faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

When we have faith in Christ we have confidence in our belief that He is God’s Only Begotten Son. We believe in his role as the Savior and Redeemer of the world. We trust him and accept His Atonement. Our faith increases as we pray, study His words, and experiment upon them.

Our faith in Christ leads us to the second principle of His gospel: repentance.

As we have more faith in Christ we desire to become more like Him through repentance. We repent by changing our beliefs, thoughts, and actions to align with the Savior’s teachings and we avoid sin which move us further away from Him. Repentance is possible because of our Savior’s Atonement. For this reason, as we repent we begin to feel relief and peace as we are coming closer to God and Jesus Christ.

As our faith in Christ continues to increase and we sincerely repent, we are prepared to follow Jesus Christ’s example of baptism which is the third principle of the His gospel.

“Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him. But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfill all righteousness. Then he suffered him. And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water…” Matthew 3: 13-16

“A now, if the Lamb of God, he being holy, should have need to be baptized by water, to fulfill all righteousness, O then, how much more need have we, being unholy to be baptized, yea even by water?” 2 Nephi 31: 5

Baptism is one of Christ’s commandments and is a sacred act in which we covenant with God. Jesus instructed that baptism by immersion is essential for the remission of our sins and to enter the kingdom of God. We can follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized by someone holding the priesthood authority of God. As we do we promise to obey God and God promises to bless us.

One way in which God blesses us is through The Gift of the Holy Ghost which is the fourth principle of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Baptism by water qualifies us for the gift of the Holy Ghost Jesus taught that we must be baptized of water and also the Spirit; one without the other is incomplete. Receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost is one of God’s greatest blessings.

“Those who receive the gift of the Holy Ghost and remain worthy can enjoy His companionship throughout their lives. The Holy Ghost has a sanctifying, cleansing effect upon us. The Holy Ghost testifies of Christ and helps us recognize the truth. He provides spiritual strength and helps us do what is right. He comforts us during times of trial or sorrow. He warns us of spiritual or physical danger. The Holy Ghost provides the power by which we teach and learn. The gift of the Holy Ghost is one of our Heavenly Father’s most precious gifts. Through the power of the Holy Ghost we can feel God’s love and direction for us.” Preach My Gospel p. 65

Once we have had faith in Christ, repented, been baptized and received the gift of the Holy Ghost, we have but merely started on the path to follow Him. We must follow a pattern of living that continually keeps us close to Christ and becoming more like Him. This is the fifth and final principle of the His gospel: Enduring to the End.

“Wherefore, do the things which I have told you I have seen that your Lord and your Redeemer should do; for, for this cause have they been shown unto me, that ye might know the gate by which ye should enter. For the gate by which ye should enter is repentance and baptism by water; and then cometh a remission of your sins by fire and by the Holy Ghost. And then are ye in this strait and narrow path which leads to eternal life; yea, ye have entered in by the gate; ye have done according to the commandments of the Father and the Son; and ye have received the Holy Ghost, which witnesses of the Father and the Son, unto the fulfilling of the promise which he hath made, that if ye entered in by the way ye should receive. And now, my beloved brethren after ye have gotten into this strait and narrow path, I would ask if all is done? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; for ye have not come thus far save it were by the word of Christ with unshaken faith in him, relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to save. Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus said the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.” 2 Nephi 31: 17-20

I would like to close by testifying to you that:

Through prayer and study we can gain faith in Christ and desire to repent. I know that we can be forgiven of our sins and mistakes because of our Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement.

I know the through baptism we can receive the gift of the Holy Ghost which will testify of Christ and help us as we try to become more like Him.

I testify of Jesus Christ and his divine role.

I testify that Jesus Christ restored His church through the prophet Joseph Smith.

And that Jesus Christ continues to teach us and guide through our living prophet Thomas S. Monson.

The Book of Mormon is the word of God and is another testament of the Lord Jesus Christ

The gospel of Jesus Christ is why I want to serve a mission. It is the message I hope to share. And it is what will bless individuals and unite families. It is what will bring peace and joy. And it is what will bring us closer to God and Christ.

And I testify to you of these things in His name, Jesus Christ, Amen.

I will miss you all tons.

much love,

b.

1 comment: