“Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.” -Judy Garland

Saturday, June 13, 2009

i hate this part right here...


Those who know me know that when I read something I always directly apply it to my life...whether it can be applied or not...somehow I find a way. Those who know me right now, know that the book I have been directly applying to my life for the last term has been my organizational behavior book...yes believe it. For example, I had just finished reading a chapter about leadership and went off to my tennis class. This is what happened: I ended up taking control of the class, assigning partners and organizing a doubles tournament. Maybe this is just my personality, but I blame it on my organizational behavior book.

In this last section, Chapter 16 focused on organizational survival and adaptation, which I am applying to my life right now: I need to survive and adapt. It first talks about resistance to change...yes I have been doing that...and different types of change. I have decided to define my life in terms of punctuated equilibrium. This is a type of change defined by phases of climactic transformational change interposed with phases less dramatic incremental adjustments. Right now I am in the climatic transformational change period.

Yesterday I dropped off my roomie, Helen, at the airport (when I started writing this). I am officially alone in Provo. Don't get me wrong...I know people, I have work, I have my ward, but it's just not the same. I been thinking and I have friends and acquaintances, but then there are those other friends. There really should be another name for them...I know you are thinking besties or bff's, but I am thinking some other entirely new word that just describes them perfectly. Because, I am talking about those friends that you trust completely...that you really have nothing else in common except for being friends. There are no excuses like oh we play tennis together or we have the same class. The explanation for you being friends is that you are friends. I have been very blessed to have friends like this. Yes they may have started out as oh we roomed together freshman year or we randomly going to a kids camp at city park, but that has become how we met, not the reason why we are friends. Losing those friends or separating from them is just plain hard.

This the cause of my transformational change; so, here I go feet first into transformational change...I really have no other choice. I guess we will just see where this change takes me. It is bound to take me somewhere and change me somehow.

1 comment:

  1. oooh. I'm excited to see how you change... like I know I've hung out with you since you wrote this. But I'm curious to see how you've changed internally.

    ReplyDelete