“Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.” -Judy Garland

Saturday, April 12, 2014

My 50 Days of Summer



One of my professors who was recently diagnosed with cancer gave a speech this semester. He is a wise man that simply didn't let other put him down. He has an amazing sense for adventure and admirable respect for every human being, culture, and religion that exists. In his final speech two things really stuck out to me: learn languages and read. I am starting with the reading one, knowing I will get to the language one as soon as I can. This professor would often tell us about a student that would ask him how he knew the random facts that he spurted off. He said...YOU READ. 

So that is just what I am going to do READ. 

My goal is to finish 50 books by the end summer. 

Here is my list so far:

1. Half the Sky by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn

2. The Book Thief by Markus Zuksak (Thank you Cedar)

3. Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared M. Diamond

4. State of Wonder by Ann Patchett (Thanks Codie)

5. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot (Thanks again Codie)

6. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (Thanks Tara)

7. The Tale of Genji by Murasaki Shikibu (also known as the world's first novel)

8. My Promised Land: The Triumph and Tragedy of Israel by Ari Shavit

9. A Tale of Two Cities (Read before, but love it!)

10. Animal Farm (George Orwell)

11. Iran Awakening by Shirin Ebadi

12.  Factory Girls: From Village to City in a Changqing China by Leslie T. Chang

13. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures by Annie Fadiman

14. In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan

15. Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal by Eric Schlosser

16. Food Politics: How the Food Industry Influences Nutrition and Health

That is all I have so far.

I NEED HELP.

I welcome any suggestions. 

Thanks,

b.  

No comments:

Post a Comment